And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?
-Matthew 7:3 NKJV
The first half of this year has been truly interesting to say the least. God has been teaching me many public lessons but also many, many, many private ones. I am learning more and more about myself and the things that I do that hinder my relationship with God and that have me hindering other people’s relationship with God. And this is how I came to the conclusion that my God…my Creator and lover of my soul has been playing me!
Let me explain…Just like everyone else in this world I’m facing multiple challenges and tests that I must pass daily. One of these daily tests include interactions with other humans who are totally off the charts! Like people are trippin and in their trippin they got me trippin! My reactions
range from sadness to confusion to embarrassment to pure fury depending on the person or situation. Most times people have no clue that these emotions have welled up inside of me but as I pour it out to God in our quiet time He has been using my negative experiences/interactions with people to hit me with some difficult truth about me. These have been two of the responses that God has given me in return:
1) That's how you did such and such the other day
2) That's how you've been doing me
Now sure, this isn’t for every single negative (or positive) interaction but it has been enough of them for me to have to really stop and take an inventory on my life and the way that I treat other people.
I'm grateful that God speaks to me in ways that He knows I will learn. When I can't mentally put myself in other people's shoes He forces me to walk in them by allowing me to get a taste of what they're going through. It's quite humbling lol.
[Side note God will let you fall hard to kill that pride. Things I said I'd never do I found myself repenting for. People I lacked compassion for I ended up having to earn a similar testimony in order to gain that compassion. Be humble in all your dealings.]
So anyways like I said, God has been seriously playing me the last few weeks but I appreciate it. I've learned a few things (that I probably shoulda remembered from kindergarten) that I wanna share with you today:
1) Stay silent a little longer and don’t say the first thing that pops in your head. Your words can’t be taken back. Matter of fact, the most hurtful are screenshot and stored in people’s hearts. Be careful what you deposit into others. Speak life or don’t speak at all.
2) Apologize for any actions you know have offended someone and then actually work to not repeat them. Especially if you know it's going to cause the other person to react or experience a negative emotion.
3) Judge less and love more because we are far from perfect. It’s easy to call out other people’s mess but when you allow theirs to expose yours it gives you room for healthy growth. Choose the road of healthy growth!
4) Think before you act! How would this action make you feel? How would it make God feel? Weigh your options. If that means awkward moments of silence then so be it!
When people make you angry or cause you to want to act out of character the first thing you must do is look within yourself and figure out why it took you there! Ask yourself some questions: Why am I so mad/sad/whatever? Why don’t I like them? Are they a mirror image of who I am? Do they remind me of someone else? How can I respond differently next time? What can I learn from my reaction? Have I made anyone else feel this way? God what are you trying to show me?
It’s time to focus on introspection so that as we go out into the world we stop unknowingly hurting other people and ourselves! Let’s grow together! Repent and move forward as a better human being =)
Melanie N. Lee/New Standard © 2015 All Rights Reserved
Melanie N. Lee
I just REALLY love Jesus!!!
Get blogs straight to your inbox